Okay so here it is… I always vowed to never be “that person” who obsesses over his or her pet. I convinced myself that getting a puppy would be all very sweet but that it would fade and the cute puppy turns into smelly pooch! Now don’t get me wrong, I grew up with dogs as a young girl and I have a BIG soft spot for animals! Especially dogs!
Darren and I moved into a new place in April and it has a “nice-size garden”. And as most people do, the topic of puppies came up! I had one sibling telling me that its the “best thing ever!” and the other telling me I don’t need “added responsibilities” and quite frankly its a “social life killer!!!”….haha!
To cut a long story short, we put it off for a while. Until one day when I saw this little black furry frog-eyed pug puppy staring back at me through the glass of a pet shop window… MY HEART MELTED! Darren was with me and as cute as she was he was mumbling something along the lines of “big responsiblity…… feed it….. clean up poo….something something”… well thats all I heard as the puppy was sniffing and sneezing all over me! (by the way… pugs do that…. alot!)
It didn’t take long to change Darren’s mind after I put the puppy in his arms… it was a no brainer from that moment on. She was ours… and after much debate over a name for her, we settled on Molly :)
I then promised myself I would only feed the puppy chunks/pellets and water, not let her on the furniture, make her sleep downstairs, leave her at home when we go out and not discuss her in public as though she was a child….
hhhmmmmm…. so lets see how much of that still applies?
- Molly refuses to eat chunks and starves herself until we feed her tin food…
- Molly has her very own “spot” on the couch…
- Molly sleeps not only in our room, but ON our bed some nights! She’s getting better with staying in her bed now and not yelping though!
- Molly has become an accessory! Some places we won’t go without her and other places some people wont allow us to come if we don’t bring her! So much for a few hours off puppy duty!
- Molly is the first thing we mention when conversation gets stale (thanks Molly!) and we find ourselves talking to all the people who have pets and are settled, married… thinking of having kids… etc.
So there you have it! I have surrendered and given up the battle! I love my little miss Molly! As spoilt as she is! I’ll have you know, it’s good preparation for when you want children, the late nights, feeding schedule, visits to the doc, the selflessness with your time, the loo business etc… obviously it goes without saying that children are a much bigger responsibility. I take my hat off to all you moms out there!
Now that you’ve read all my banter, have a look at how adorable Molly is! And please guys, I know she’s incredibly good looking and you’d all kill to have her eyes, so if you are wanting photographs with her, I have a few bookings available! You better call quick before someone steals your booking.
One at a time please.
Okay don’t all call at once.